Monday, February 5, 2007

What makes a book erotica?

It seems that every book I write has hotter and more explicit love scenes. I love to write them and it seems like readers like to read them. The publishers, however, seem to vary in what they consider erotica. I've been told by one publisher that one of my books were "too erotic for us" and told by other publishers that the same book "is not erotic enough." I have to learn how to do this right! I think I want my characters to have sex at the right time, so that maybe some of my books don't jump in the sack early enough for certain publishers. At any rate, I never want my h/h to make love before they feel it's right for them. Once they do, well, I write the scenes steamy :)

Hey, I have a contest for Valentine's Day. Anyone who wants to win a one pound box of Fannie Mae Chocolates (fresh from the store--my daughter is a store manager for a Fannie Mae), go to my website, read the blurbs about my books, and if you can write one sentence about either SWEET SURRENDER or LOVE GAMES, and if you send that to my e-mail (wordsmythe@gmail.com) you qualify for the drawing on Feb. 14th. I'm also offering a download of LOVE GAMES, which is a good read for Valentine's Day.

Now I need to ask you a question. What types of covers attract you to a book? Do you like:
1/ ripped torsos
2/ ripped torsos with a hot male face attached to it (this is my choice)
3/male and female
4/Other

Have a good day and visit my sites. Be sure to get in on the candy contest!

SWEET SURRENDER by Pam Marshall

Out now at Linden Bay (#3 on the LB bestseller list at Fictionwise and 4 Angels from FAR)

www.lindenbayromance.com

LOVE GAMES by my evil twin, Nicole L. Pierce (my evil twin)

www.mardigraspublishing.com

Check out my website and blog:

http://users.solarus.biz/~pammarshall/surrenderexcerpt.html

http://pammarshall.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Joan said...

I agree with you. I pick 2 that is usually how I pick my book.

said...

Torso--I don't need a face. I can leave it to my imagination. If you look at Karen Marie Moning's books, none of the men have their faces revealed and I think it is as sexy as heck!

robynl said...

I enjoy many different kinds of covers; to me covers are a work of art.
I do especially love scenery on covers or women with beautiful gowns or even cartoon like images.

Missy Sue said...

In answer to the cover question, I would have to say I love all covers, especially since I'm a cover artist, I enjoy every element. But I do have to say that your fav would probably be my fav - a ripped torso attached to a very handsome face (preferrably a very powerful looking one, lol).